*Warning: This is a long post because, well, it was a long event!
*I will be posting Taran's birth story as well, just thought I should get Odin's written here first since he did arrive almost 3 years ago.
Odin was due August 24th, 2008. The week before his due date, I'd been having contractions every night before bed. Not having had a baby before, I didn't know if they were the "real thing" or just my body preparing for the baby's eventual arrival. So, as we watched the Olympics each night, I'd get out my notepad and time the contractions. Eight minutes apart here, then five, then eleven, then ten. So I knew I wasn't in labor quite yet and I'd head to bed, hoping to get some good rest to be ready when it was the real deal. We made sure the hospital bag was packed and had our good friend Heather's number ready to call so she could pick up Rex. See what responsible dog owners we were?
| The last picture of me pregnant with Odin-6 days before he was born |
I skipped my water aerobics class that Tuesday night because of the strong contractions but yet again, they didn't have any regular pattern. They were strong enough to distract me from pretty much whatever I was doing but not strong enough to do anything about. That Thursday, I awoke with much stronger contractions. I had planned to have lunch at Heather's house (look at you Heather-two appearances in the story so far!) with a bunch of our friends. Luckily, I was carpooling with Teresa and she was the driver. I had to actively breath through each contraction by the time we arrived at lunch. I remember being super distracted but still trying to have conversations. The girls said I was much more quiet than usual. I perched myself on a stool in Heather's dining room, breathing through each contraction and trying to eat a little bit. That afternoon, as Teresa drove me home, she said, "I think this is it. You're going to have that baby soon!" I knew it would be soonish but didn't want to get my hopes up. All I could think about was the fact that my mom's 1st labor was 44 hours long.
Travis talked me into eating dinner (pasta-and I would regret this meal later!) and we settled down for yet another night of watching the summer Olympics. Diving was the event we timed contractions through this evening. They were getting closer and closer together and much more intense. I also started experiencing strong surges in my back with each contraction. I called the midwife on call at the hospital (Carol) and she suggested resting and trying to sleep at home since she knew part of my birth plan was to labor at home for as long as I possibly could. An hour after the phone call there was another sign that labor was progressing (I'll spare you the details!) so after calling Carol again, she said to come on in and get checked. Thus began the LONGEST CAR RIDE OF MY LIFE. Contractions in the car were 4,000 times worse that when I could stand, sway, moan, and have Travis rub my back through them! Luckily by this time it was 11pm so there was no traffic on the roads. Of course the main entrance to the hospital was closed so we ended up having to walk what felt like miles to someone that is in labor and finally found someone that offered up a wheelchair. Not that it helped but I just wanted to get in the actual building and get everything going so I accepted the chariot ride. At the birth center, I was checked and was dialated to 3cm. Carol told us to walk around the birth center for an hour. On our hour long walk, we must have stopped at least 50 times, me leaning against a chair or on the rail in the hallway (smart hospital designers!), while Travis rubbed my lower back. I knew contractions would hurt but the back labor was really difficult. I started to get a little panic-y and felt very hot and sick to my stomach. I managed to make it to a garbage can before throwing up but just barely. We were admitted at 11:59pm on Thursday, August 21.
Once in our birthing room, I got in the bathtub and began what would become 9 hours of one-word requests. Demands might be a more appropriate word. Phrases to tell Travis what I needed went from somewhat civil requests like, "Rub my back" to "RUB!"and "I need a drink" to "WATER!" There was also, "FAN!" for when I was too hot during a contraction. Our awesome midwife found a hand-held fan that helped me stay cool. The hot water in the tub helped distract me a bit but the pain was still present. I concentrated during every contraction to try and relax as much as I could. If I didn't tense up, things were. . . survivable. After a few hours, I got into the bed and laid on my side as my contractions got closer together and even more intense. I think this may have been the time that I really began questioning my desire for a natural birth. Really? Did I really want to do this? I voiced my concerns to Travis that I didn't think I would be able to do this. I can remember feeling scared, looking at him and saying, "Help" in an extremely pitiful voice. He, of course, my greatest support, told me I could do it and I was doing it. The midwife and nurse left us alone mostly and encouraged me along when they were in the room. It was exactly what I needed to hear, that I was capable and I doing great.
Both Travis and I had read a couple of natural birth books and had done weeks of preparing for our baby's birth. It may sound corny but we used mantras to focus my attention on the birth. Carol had recommended I drink lots of water throughout the whole labor process to prevent needing an IV so after every contraction I would take a swig from my water bottle. Trav mixed a little apple juice in with my water and it quenched my thirst like nothing ever had. Strange though, as I don't normally even like apple juice!
Around 6am (I had no concept of time but this was about 24 hours after I had awoken with my first real contraction) Carol checked me and I was dilated to 9cm! This was the best news I'd ever heard in my life. That meant I was close to meeting my baby. To assist in bringing the baby's head down and to help with the pain from my back labor, Carol suggested trying to stand in the shower with the water hitting my lower back. Standing? Was she crazy!? I didn't think my legs could hold me up! I did it though, with Trav's help. After standing in the shower until I was too tired and felt like falling over, it was back to the bed. Once again, our midwife and nurse told us they would leave us alone for awhile. As the nurse left the room, she quietly told Travis to buzz them as soon as I felt like I needed to start pushing. They must have been out the room a whopping 2 minutes before I growled at him, "I need to push. Now" Which I did. For about an hour and a half. My water broke while I was pushing and everyone (Travis, Carol, and our nurse) told me I was doing great. My biggest motivation, besides, obviously getting to meet our baby, was getting to find out if it was a boy or a girl. I was so motivated! At 9:10am, on Friday, August 22, 2008, Odin Fuller Eriksen was born with his eyes wide open and his hand raised up next to his head. The baby was handed to Travis, who took a quick peek and announced, "It's a boy! We have a son!" We both were ridiculously emotional and I blubbered on, saying, "I have a son. A SON! I don't even know him but I love him. I love him so much!" I remember that moment as clear as if it happened yesterday, even thought it was almost 3 years ago now. I became a mom in that moment. How lucky I was. How lucky I am.
| Blissed out |
| The first phone call-to my Mom |
| 7 pounds, 3.8 ounces and 19 inches long |

No comments:
Post a Comment