Sunday morning Travis was enjoying a rare treat of staying in bed a bit late (he is a saint and usually lets me relax in the morning-he knows I am not a happy person in the A.M.) but quickly jumped out of bed when I yelled, "Travis! Get in here!" The boys had been playing in their room while I was eating my breakfast in the kitchen. Taran screamed and I could tell from his cry that it wasn't just a "my brother took another toy away from me and I'm ticked off" cry. It was, "Mom, I'm bleeding from my head!"I ran in to find him crying and holding a hand to his head. Odin told me Taran had a piece of the plastic train track in his hand and when he reached to get a book, he fell and the train track was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I could tell from Odin's tone that he was telling the truth, so no worries that it was from a brother-on-brother injury. Of course, heads bleed. I know this. But when it's your own sweet baby? Well, it's not my favorite part of parenting for sure. Travis came in quickly and we rushed to get everyone dressed to go to the ER. Luckily we only live about 10 minutes away from Highline Hospital and they were able to stitch him up and the whole process only took about an hour or so.
Odin handled the whole thing quite well (which, if you know him well, is pretty impressive) and even charmed the nurses by drawing pictures for them. The doctor and nurses that worked on Taran were wonderful. One of the young men that was helping said this was the least favorite part of his job, "making babies cry." Odin and I stepped out of the room during the actually stitching procedure but Trav stayed with Taran the whole time and our little guy did really well. The whole time he was restrained (a pillow case, a sheet, and multiple people were involved to keep him from moving) he was saying, "All done! All done!" As the doctor said to us on our way out (discussing how he'll most likely have a pretty big scar from the laceration), "Well, it will be obvious he didn't grow up in a bubble!"
![]() |
| Before |
| After |

Oh my gosh, that first photo about gave me a mom heart-attack. I'm glad to hear all is fine now, but I'm so sorry you guys had to go through this!
ReplyDelete